I’m the author of the picture book I Love You for Miles and Miles, illustrated by Mike Yamada (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2017) and the forthcoming biography Bottle Tops: The Art of El Anatsui, illustrated by Elizabeth Zunon (Lee & Low Books, 2020).
Before becoming a children’s writer, I worked for economic justice organizations and co-wrote the resource guide, Creating Change Through Family Philanthropy: The Next Generation (Soft Skull Press, 2007). My articles about giving, activism, and economic justice have been published in magazines and journals.
Through my work I’ve lived in a number of communities, including the Northern Cheyenne Reservation in Montana and the eastern region of Ghana. For a while I helped market (and consume a good deal of) fair trade chocolate and tea in San Luis Obispo, California. I now live in Cambridge, Massachusetts with my husband, our two children, and a parrot.
I vividly remember my introduction to the editing process in the fourth grade and I still find cutting and pasting to be thrilling. These days I love researching everything from marine life to contemporary art for my books. I also blog about activism in children’s literature at M is for Movement.
My bachelor’s degree is in art history and anthropology from Tufts University and I received my master’s degree in regional planning from Cornell University. I’m a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and Grub Street in Boston. I’m also on the board of the Food Research and Action Center, an organization committed to ending hunger in the United States.
Recent interviews and posts:
- “Get to Know… Alison Goldberg!” (Jarrett Lerner, 12/21/18)
- “Goals for Promoting Your Debut Picture Book” (24 Carrot Writing, 7/9/18)
- “Sharing a Love of Reading” (Scholastic News Kids Press Corps, 5/18/18)
- “10 Recent Picture Books With a Lot of Heart” (PragmaticMom, 2/14/18)
- “Celebration of Life Day and Interview with Alison Goldberg” (Celebrate Picture Books, 1/22/18)
- “I Love You for Miles and Miles” (Karlin Gray, 1/8/18)
- “Love and excavators” (Kate Tuttle, The Boston Globe, 12/22/17)
- “Two-Debut Interview” (Picture the Books, 12/21/17)
- “Interview with Alison Goldberg” (Pine Reads Review, 12/15/17)
- “Author Spotlight: Alison Goldberg” (Kidlit 411, 12/15/17)
- “Alison Goldberg: Will Write for Cookies” (Vivian Kirkfield, 12/9/17)
- “Meet world-changing author Alison Goldberg” (Jess Keating Presents: The Curious Creative 12/17)
- “Children’s Book Authors And Their Little Free Libraries” (Book Riot, 5/12/17)
- “Meet Alison Goldberg, #Kidlit Picture Book Debut Author” (Writers’ Rumpus, 3/14/17)
- “Alison Goldberg’s Big Moment!” (Books in the Meadow, 1/21/16)